As 2015 comes right at our door, we have the habit of looking back at the past 12 months and analyzing the biggest events in celebrity world. We enlisted the most discussed scandals of 2014. Not all of the following stars were caught for bad behavior – some were victims of terrible crimes.
1) One of the most shocking scandals of the year has to be the ongoing sexual assault allegations against Bill Cosby. Nearly 20 women (and counting) have came forward (so far), claiming the former “Cosby Show” star sexually assaulted them, with more than half saying he drugged them in the process.
Cosby has never been convicted of sexual assault and has declined to discuss the allegations against him. His lawyer has also vehemently denied several of the allegations on the comedian’s behalf. But women keep opening up to the media about the abuse they reportedly suffered at his hands.
2) Miley Cyrus was up to her usual antics this year — smoking marijuana on stage, stepping out wearing disco ball nipple pasties, twerking with Mexico’s flag, posting provocative photos on Instagram, posing nude on magazine covers, riding a giant phallic-shaped mechanical bull at her birthday party, etc., etc.
3) A massive number of nude images of celebrities such as Jennifer Lawrence, Scarlett Johansson, Kim Kardashian, and Kate Upton were leaked by hackers on website 4Chan.com in September. The stars were pictured in several uncompromising, and sometimes very sexual, positions.
Lawrence later told Vanity Fair: “It is not a scandal. It is a sex crime. It is a sexual violation. It’s disgusting. The law needs to be changed, and we need to change. That’s why these web sites are responsible. Just the fact that somebody can be sexually exploited and violated, and the first thought that crosses somebody’s mind is to make a profit from it. It’s so beyond me. I just can’t imagine being that detached from humanity. I can’t imagine being that thoughtless and careless and so empty inside.”
4) In April 2014, actor and model Michael Egan III claimed “X-Men” director Bryan Singer molested him at a party in 1999 when he was just 17 years old. Singer vehemently denied the allegations, and Egan eventually withdrew his lawsuit. An unnamed British actor withdrew a similar suit in July after accusing Singer and producer Gary Goddard of having sex with him while he was a minor.
5) AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd was arrested in New Zealand in November for allegedly attempting to hire someone to kill two people. He was charged with attempt to procure murder as well as possession of methamphetamine, possession of cannabis, and threatening to kill. Murder plot charges were later dropped; however, Rudd was later charged with threatening to kill an unnamed man and his daughter.
6) Amanda Bynes went off the deep end again after being released from a psychiatric hospital on Oct. 29 and revealing on Twitter that she was “diagnosed bi-polar and manic depressive.” At one point, the actress described killing her family, explaining to a friend that she looks at her dad “as like a murderer person” and that “nothing would give me greater pleasure than like, I guess slitting his throat.” Bynes also threatened her mom, saying she would slit her wrist and burn down her house.
7) In October, singer Kesha accused producer Dr. Luke of mentally and sexually abusing her for years. She claimed that’s what forced her to go to rehab in Illinois earlier this year for two months. Dr. Luke countersued, accusing the pop star of defamation and extortion. He claimed she and her mother were trying to get out of a contract Kesha signed with him when she was 18.
*In December, Lady Gaga accused an unnamed record producer of raping her when she was 19. Some speculated it was Dr. Luke, but the singer didn’t name names.
8) In April, actor James Franco tried to arrange a rendezvous in a hotel room with a 17-year-old Scottish tourist whom he met after performing on Broadway in New York City.
The teen posted a conversation she had with him from her phone on Instagram. At one point, Franco asked: “How long will you be in New York? You’re 18? Who are you with? You have a bf?”
Franco later defended himself, saying: “I’m embarrassed, and I guess I’m just a model of how social media is tricky. It’s the way that people meet each other today, but what I’ve learned – I guess because I’m new to it – is you don’t know who’s on the other end. You get a feel for them, you don’t know who you’re talking to.”
9) Jennifer Lopez ended her two-year relationship with dancer/choreographer Casper Smart after allegations surfaced that Smart had been flirting with transgender model Sofie Vissa.
In a related scandal, reality star/former Playboy playmate Kendra Wilkinson stayed with husband Hank Baskett after he had an affair with transsexual model Ava Sabrina earlier this year. Baskett reportedly told his wife the truth about what happened and that was enough for Wilkinson to take him back.
Is it really scandalous anymore?